Stronachie was a distillery which rose out of the wilderness in the 1890s. Set in a desolate glen on the Perth-Kinross border it stood between bleak hills on an isolated road that toiled its way through the Ochill mountains. Stronachie Distillery produced a traditional Highland-style whisky until 1928 and during its four decades of production A.D. Rattray Ltd represented the brand in Scotland.
A.D. Rattray has now revived the Stronachie name and reproduced this spirit of another time. To replicate the whisky, a bottle of original Stronachie 1904 was purchased at auction – one of only four bottles left in existence. A small sample of whisky was drawn from this bottle and tasted. Then samples of many Highland malt whiskies were compared to the original Stronachie.
Finally, the remote and high altitude Benrinnes was chosen to distill a first class malt which emulates the flavours and profile of the original Stronachie whisky.